Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Taking on a new role

I have some news to share!  After 3 years in 1st and 2nd grade the school board has allowed me permission to "skip" a few grades and move into middle school.  

This fall the principal at KCS and his wife, the middle school teacher at KCS, announced they have accepted a position in South Africa to help start up the high school phase of Batho Pele Christian School which will begin in January 2014. The Batho Pele Christian School currently enrolls 286 students from Grades 1-6. The kids come mostly out of very poor areas and quite a number is AIDS orphans. This is the only Christian School in that area, about 35 km north of the capital city of Pretoria.

The Greeff's are amazing teachers, mentors and have the gift of administration and motivation that will be necessary for moving into that task. While I can see how God's hand has prepared them for this task it will be difficult to say good-bye to these dear colleagues and friends. Bittersweet! 

Their leaving opens different needs at KCS.  I was asked if to consider how I wanted to be involved at school when I return and have decided to accept the position of middle school teacher starting in September.  I will be teaching various subjects in grades 5-8 including Math, Bible, Social Studies and Reading.  I'm excited for the challenge of the upper grade levels and thrilled to see some of my former 1st and 2nd graders returning to my classroom as middle school students. 


No comments: